Groundhog day for Town.

For the second consecutive season Town came away from The New Defence Stadium with no points as Horley pinched all three last night in added on time.

Murphy made two changes from Saturday’s win at home in the FA Vase, with S Tilley coming in for Clark and Howell in for Heath and it was Town who started the brighter side. On only the 3rd minute an in swinging corner from Bold found an unmarked Faber at the back post who powdered a header into the roof of the net giving the home keeper no chance.


Town adapted to the horrible conditions well (consistent rain & very soft ground) for the next 30 minutes and trying to play some nice counter attacking football and chances came and went for Cousins, Tilley and Boling but on the 40th minute Town were given a scare by the referee when he awarded a soft penalty after a Horley player kicked the leg of Faber and took a tumble only for the linesman to save his blushes by confirming that in the build-up there was actually a home player in an off side position.

HT 0-1

Town came out in the second half with the same desire and determination to keep a very good home team out and that was taking it’s toll on a few players which meant Murphy made a couple of changes with Bloomfield coming on for Howell and Heath on for Cousins. The home team started to up the pressure on the Town back line with ever more long balls into the box but couldn’t find a way through and even when they did they found a Marsden that wasn’t going to let the ball into his net that easily.

It took 70th minutes for the home team to finally breakdown the Town rear guard when a deep cross from the left find it’s way to the back post for the home N0.7 to nip past Bloomfield to head home.


It was game on then for the home team and they started to throw everything they had at Town, hitting the post and bar in the process, but that did mean there was gaps for Town to exploit and chances came for Bloomfield and Cousins but they just fell short. As the clock ticked down it looked like Town would take a well desired point back down the M23 with them but when the referee indicated that there was 3 minutes of added on time to play the nervous started to kick in. Horley threw one last role of the dice and committed nearly every man into one last attack and it paid off when what looked like a foul on Faber went unpunished only for the Horley winger to then dance past two Town defenders to whip a trickly looking ball into the box only for Marsden parry it straight into the path of the unmarked sub to break our hearts in what was the 92 minute.


As soon as Town took the restart the final whistle went and with it any points for us. A little disappointing to see the home team show a little lack of class at celebrating in the way they did but I think that showed they felt that, that was a tough game and to come back from 0-1 down showed that Horley have a resilience that we will show as the season goes on, I’m sure.

Over all, a disappointing result but a performance that Town can hopefully build on and take into Saturday’s home game against Eastbourne Utd.


Marsden, Faber, Gather, Boiling, S Tilley, Bold, Murphy, Spano, Cousins, C Tilley, Howell

Subs: Heath, Bloomfield, McGrath, Timms (not use)