Town’s FA Cup dream started with a tricky away trip to Kent premier league side K Sports on Tuesday 1st September with a home tie awaiting the winner.

As Murphy’s men unboarded the coach they were greeted with the familiar sight of a 3g pitch which meant that we were hopefully in for an exciting game of passing football.

Town had a few players unavailable due to injuries and holiday so it gave another opportunity for two of our u18s to join up with the seniors and experience the “magic” of the FA cup for the first time.

The game started at a blistering pace with both side creating chances and it was end to end for the first 15 minutes which would be the sign of things to come. It was on 19 minutes that Town created the first of 3 good chances when great work by Tom Bold in the middle allowed Louis Coulson to shoot just wide

2 minutes later a long throw from Harry Heath set George Cousins free only for the home keeper to just gather the ball in time. The home side did have a good chance just before that when they built a counter attack from a Town throw in deep in the opposition half, but luckily the finish wasn’t as good as the build up.

HT 0-0

With a few encouraging words from Murphy at half, Town came out with a bit more of a spring in there step and was only 3 minutes from the restart a lovely ball from Boiling split the home defence for the on rushing Heath to sweep home.


That seemed  to shake the home team up and it was them to create the next real threat when a long ball into the box caused a bit of confusion and the obligatory pin ball occurred but luckily for Town captain Gathern was at the end to smash clear. The game was still in the balance and the home team were starting to get frustrated with a flurry of yellow cards for what seemed to be more frustration than nasty.

We had to wait until the 70th minute for our nerves to subside when Town Coulsden won a corner on the left and a sweet ball in from Bold was met on the volley by the ever willing Fitzpatrick to crash Town into a 0-2 lead.


The game started to turn a bit scrappy and a few more yellow cards came along and it was turning into to a nightmare for the home team when there were reduced to 10 after a late challenge on Heath.

As the clock run down the home team started to throw everything at the Town defence but credit to the boy’s the were unbreakable all night. But the game took another twist in the closing seconds as the home team no.7 ended up with what looked like an accidental but nasty suspected broken leg. As the medical team attended the stricken player both manager’s discussed the options with the the referee indicating that 30 seconds were left to play and it was then decided that the final whistle was blown

FT 0-2

Aside from the unfortunate end to the game, credit must go to the players for an heroic performance against a tough K Sports team.

The Wembley dream continues with a home tie against Hamworth Villa on the 12th.



Marsden, Clark, Boiling, Fitzpatrick, Maher, Bold, Gathern, Romain, Heath, Coulsden, Cousins.

McGrath, Spano, Bloomfield, Hards, Levoi