Harrys trick gives Town fans a treat.


On Saturday, Town were in cup action when Seaford came to the Birchwood ground in the first round of the FA Vase. Murphy made two changes from last weeks win with Boiling coming in for the injured T Timms and Faber in for the cup tied Murphy, and Town were looking to progress against the lower league team. Town got off to a strong start and it was the returning Faber who had the first chance on 2 minutes when some great work down the left from Clark and Wadham’s who then found Faber on the edge of the box but he scuffed a shot wide. It was the visitors who opened the scoring though on the 6th minute when a long ball down the right seem to catch the Town defenders napping and the Seaford No.9 slotted past the on rushing Marsden.


It didn’t take Town long to draw level when and delightful 40 yard pass from boiling found Wadham free on the left, he then burst forward and swung the ball into Heath who either saw Cousins free or scuffed a shot towards goal only for Cousins to smash home from 5 yards.


It then turned into the Harry Heath show when he hit a 4 minute hat-trick, for his first he got on the end of a delicious deep cross from Cousins that split the Seaford defence to calmly slot home, his second (only 2 minutes later) was a stab home after a spill from the visitors keeper but he saved the best till last when he chased down the centre half and forced him into giving the ball away, to then coolly slot home.


HT – 4-1

With such a dominate first half performance it was a worry that Town would take their foot off the gas and the second half was going to drift into a training game but Murphy wasn’t going to let his boy’s do that with constant instruction from the side lines. It didn’t take long for the goals to start up again and it was the visitors who got on the scoresheet when a in swinging corner from Bold was bundled home by a Seaford defender only to be claimed by Towns captain, Gathern (not sure the dubious goals panel can give it to our skipper).


Next up was Howell who picked the ball up 30 yards out and let rip with a stinging left foot drive that beat the despairing keeper and nestled in the bottom corner.


It was Cousins who created and scored the next, when he cut in from the left, danced past two defenders and poked home past the on-rushing keeper.


Murphy made a few changes then with Bloomfield coming on for the hat-trick hero Heath and it was the youngest who got on the end and a Wadham cross to flick home.


It was good to see the return of vice-captain Ryan Timms after a lengthy absence due the health issues but it was Bold who rounded off the scoring for the afternoon when he pressured the Seaford backline only for the keeper to come out and upend him in the penalty box, he dusted himself down to smash the ball high into the net and round off Towns biggest win for a while.


Overall, a professional performance from Town and the gap in class was clear to see as we roll into the next round (whenever that my be) and the Wembley dream continues.


Hopefully we will see you all again in 4 weeks but in the meantime, thank you for your support so far this season and stay safe.



Marsden, S Tilley, Boiling, Gathern, Wadhams, Bold, Clark, Faber, Howell, Heath, Cousins.

Subs: Spano, Bloomfield, R Timms, Tuck (not used)