STCFC 2 – 1 Horsham YMCA

3 wins in 7 days for Town.

Saturday saw the visit of Horsham YMCA to the Birchwood ground in which Town were looking for a third win in 7 days. Horsham have had a difficult start to the season with pretty much a new look young side which meant an uncertain test for Murphy’s men and with the weather due to turn during the afternoon, who knew what was going to unfold.

Murphy made 3 changes from Tuesday’s win away at East Preston with Clark, Howell and a debut young Ash Wadham who signed in the week on loan from Burgess Hill but Town started off with the same intensity as they finished with on Tuesday.

On the 7th minute Cousins had a chance to break the deadlock when he forced a error at the back only to shoot straight at the visitors keeper but it was that man who did put Town into the lead on the 26th minute when Heath chased the No.5 down after a poor pass from the keeper to rob the ball and cross to an unmarked Cousins to smash home.


It was that combination again who looked to increase Town’s lead on 32nd minute when they exchanged a neat one-two for Cousins to call the YM keeper to pull off a great save to keep the score to just the 1 goal.

Murphy was the next man to call the keeper into action when he burst forward from deep to unleash a rasping strike that looked like it was going to rip a hole in the net only for the keeper to get his fingertips to the ball and push it over. Town were starting to dominate now and as Heath drew a foul 30 years out up stepped Bold who scuffed the resulting free kick straight into the path of Heath who stabbed home.

2-0. HT

The second half started with Town kicking into the now gale force wind and it seem to knock them off there stride a bit and the second half didn’t really produce much football from both sides. It did get a little nervy towards the end of the match when the visitors scored on the 75th minute when the No.8 found himself free 6 yards out at a corner to head home unchallenged.


Town saw the game out after that shock goal and it was 9 points in one week for Murphy’s men and saw Town climb the table and carry on with a winning mentality.

Next up at the Birchwood ground is Seaford in the FA Vase next Saturday, 3pm ko.



Marsden,  Wadhams, Timms, Gathern,  S Tilley, Murphy, Bold, Clark, Howell, Heath,  Cousins.

Subs: C Tilley, Tuck, Bloomfield,  Spano, Faber (not used)